Canada is known all over the world for its excellent education system. This is the reason thousands of international students apply to Canadian colleges and universities every year.
All these students require a Canada Study Permit before they land up in Canada to study but many of them are unable to do so as their applications are rejected by Canadian Immigration authorities.
This rejection is a nightmare for international students as their hopes of receiving a world-class education in the prestigious Canadian universities are squashed. It appears that the rejection rates have escalated in recent years and the authorities are becoming stricter with the set norms and regulations.
Common reasons for permit rejection
Each and every student ensures a completed application form and submission of all supporting documents, and they hope fervently that they are able to clear all the hurdles in the way of gaining the permit. However, it is seen that authorities check everything very carefully before they say ‘yay’ or ‘nay’ to the application.
Here are some factors that may lead to a refusal of one’s study visa:
1. Lack of Funds
An applicant must show that they have adequate funds to cover all their expenses for the first year of the study course. Their application may be denied if the immigration officer believes the applicant lacks this amount.
2. Proficiency in English Language
Non-native international students who are able to speak in English have to submit a proof of language proficiency in the form of TOEFL or IELTS scores. In case the student is unable to meet the minimum required score, they may be rejected by the immigration authorities.
3. Program Choice
If the visa officer believes that an applicant has chosen a course of study that does not align with their academic or employment background, they may reject the permit application.
4. Letter of Acceptance
Among the several documents required along with the application is a letter of acceptance from a Canadian DLI (Designated Learning Institution). In case there are any issues regarding that, the officer may reject the application outright.
5. Length of stay
A Canadian study permit is temporary in nature. An international student has to come back to their home country once their permit gets expired. However, if the visa officer feels they may be a potential immigrant, they may not be given the permit.
6. Inadequate documentation
Sometimes, the permit is rejected as the applicant’s documents are incomplete or illegible.
While the ones above are the most common ones, some other factors are:
- The officer feels there is a lack of job prospects in the applicant’s country – this leads to a rejection as they feel the applicant may overstay in Canada.
- If the applicant’s biometrics are incorrectly scanned
- If the applicant is unable to provide a logical study plan as the authorities may be unconvinced about their main intention regarding coming to Canada
- If the applicant has an illegal status in their country of residence
Help from Academic Counselors
In case you are applying for a Canadian study permit for the first time, it would be better to seek help from an academic counselor. Their help and support can pave the path to a smooth application process and lead to getting the study permit without facing any hassles.
Here’s how they can help:
- They can help the applicant in drafting and editing their statement of interest and crafting a strong profile.
- They can make sure that all documentation is legible and complete.
- They ensure the right help for applicants to get IELTS/TOEFL scores that will clear the passing grade.
- They guide applicants regarding the correct amount of funds they must show in their account so that lack of funds is not an issue for visa rejection.
- If the visa is rejected due to lack of job prospects, the counselor can help in collating documents and statements that exhibit sufficient prospects in the applicant’s home country.
- The counselor will help the applicant to get a registered acceptance letter from the institute of their choice so that this isn’t a basis for visa refusal.
If you want to study in Canada and are fearful of your study permit being rejected, seek help from us today!